Monday, October 26, 2009

Productivity or Product of Waste?

Part of our assignments is to develop daily activities where we think will be appropriate for our clients. The conflict arises when the person you present it to is not necessarily as enthusiastic about your idea as you may be.

Today, I would like to talk about disappointments one might face at their place of employment. When a job requires creativity, innovation, and dedication, just how much worth can be measured for each factor? The problem I ran appears to be the generational gap. Age has nothing to do with mentality but I will discuss why that is an issue at work. When a co-worker who is very old-fashioned and set in their ways, novel ideas for music, movies, and activities are often restricted or prohibited to be implemented. As much as we adore Elvis and the Beatles, there is room for musical artists who made music since the 50s. When I tried to introduce a mixed CD with Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, the music was immediately turned off. None of the clients made a comment that the songs were offensive.

Some of our art ideas come from the internet. Apparently, it is too complicated. Anything beyond coloring and cutting has to be altered. So I ask myself, if I am spending time to do research, am I being productive for coming up with new ideas or is it a waste of my time to prepare activities when it will not be on the calendar?

No comments:

Post a Comment